1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp butter/margarine
2 tbsp lard
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 cups currants and/or raisins
2 tbsp chopped candied peel
1 beaten egg
2-3 tbsp milk
whole blanched almonds
- Cut the butter and lard into the flour.
- Add in the sugar, spices, chopped peel and currants.
- Add the egg and mix into a very stiff dough, adding some of the milk if necessary.
- Form the dough into a round flat cake and put it on to a greased baking tray.
- Decorate with the nuts and cherries on top.
- Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a cooling tray and serve.