2 sticks butter, unsalted
1/2 cup chopped almonds
extra almonds for decoration on top
1/2 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup semolina flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
juice from 1/2 lemon
Option- 1 TBSP rosewater
Option- whipped cream
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Fry almonds in 1 stick of butter until slightly golden
3. In large bowl, mix yogurt and 3/4 cup sugar
4. One at a time, mix in almonds and their butter, semolina, baking powder and vanilla extract until well blended.
5. Pour into oiled 9x9x2 pan and put into oven
6. Bake at 400F for 30 minutes.
7. Make syrup right away while basbousa is baking
8. Stir together 1 cup sugar, water and lemon juice over medium heat until thick enough to coat spoon.
9. Mix in rose water and stir 2 more minutes
10. Remove from heat and put into refrigerator right away.
11. Once basbousa is finished in oven pour cold syrup on top.
12. Cut basbousa into squares or diamonds and put back into oven for another 5 minutes
13. Once basbousa is finished, pour 1 stick melted butter on top
14. Spread whipped cream on top or put dollops on individual servings