PEANUT BRITTLE RECIPE
I got this peanut brittle recipe off Martha Stewart show many years ago. I made some for my mom, who loves peanut brittle, and gave some to friends. Everyone loved this recipe!
large stock pot with heavy/tight lid
large mixing spoon with long, metal handle and bowl
2 large cookie sheets already sprayed with a cooking spray like PAM
3 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
4.5 cups roasted, salted peanuts (or any other nut)
4 TBSP unsalted butter
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking soda
1. Into pot, place sugar, corn syrup and water. Stir until well mixed.
2. Put lid onto pot, keeping in the condensation, and put on high heat
3. Occasionally swirl the pot to mix the contents, not taking off the lid
4. Heat for about 5 minutes - until it comes to a boil
5. Place candy thermometer on side of pot, with bottom of sensor at bottom of pot.
6. When it comes up to 230F (about 2 minutes), add in the peanuts. Stir them in using metal spoon.
7. Keep stirring until mixture reaches 300F (about 20 minutes). Yes, your arm will get tired!
8. Once mixture reaches 300F, remove from heat
9. Stir in butter, vanilla and baking soda. Mixture will then foam up
10. Pour onto pans and spread as thin as possible. The thinner, the better.
11. Wait about 1 hour before cracking brittle into pieces
Advice - fill your cooking pot with water and let it sit overnight to dissolve the mixture off the sides of the pot.