6 cups grated carrots
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup raisins
1.5 cups sugar
1 cup apple sauce
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
3 cups all-purpose flour
1.5 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 tsp ground cinnamon
1.5 cups chopped pecans
- Combine grated carrots and brown sugar by hand.
- Set aside for an hour
- Stir in raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease and flour two 10-inch cake pans.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until light.
- Gradually beat in the sugar, apple sauce and vanilla until well blended.
- Stir in the pineapple.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon into a bowl until blended
- Carefully stir flour mixture into the egg mixture until absorbed.
- Finally add the carrot mixture and ONE CUP of the nuts
- Pour evenly into the pans
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, until cake tests done with a toothpick.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Cool in refrigerator (cold cakes are easier to frost)
- When completely cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting:
- 16 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream together the cream cheese and butter until well blended and creamy. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the powdered sugar. Ice the cake. Lightly pat sides with finely chopped nuts. Store in the refrigerator after use.
**Carrot cakes should be stored in the refrigerator**