APRICOT RASPBERRY RUGELACH - HANUKKAH
1 cup softened butter
8 oz package softened cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1.5 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup seedless raspberry preserves
1 tablespoon milk
1. Using a mixer on low speed, blend butter with cream cheese smooth.
2. Mix in vanilla extract, salt, 1 cup of the flour, and 1/4 cup of the sugar
3. With spoon, stir in remaining flour.
4. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Wrap each with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight
5. Make the filling the next day...
6. Stir walnuts, apricots, brown sugar, 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon until well mixed.
7. Line 2 large cookie sheets with foil; grease foil. Set aside.
8. On lightly floured surface, using floured rolling pin, roll 1 piece of chilled dough into a 9-inch round, keeping remaining dough refrigerated.
9. Spread flattened dough with 2 tablespoons raspberry preserves.
10. Sprinkle with about 1/2 cup apricot filling; gently press filling onto dough.
11. With pastry wheel or sharp knife, cut dough into 12 equal wedges.
12. Starting at curved edge, roll up each wedge, jelly-roll fashion.
13. Place cookies on foil-lined cookie sheet, point-side down, about 1/2 inch apart. Repeat with remaining dough, one portion at a time.
14. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
15. In cup, mix remaining 2 tablespoons sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
16. Brush rugelach with milk.
17. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
18. Place rugelach on 2 oven racks about 30 to 35 minutes until golden, rotating cookie sheets between upper and lower racks halfway through baking time.
19. Immediately remove rugelach to wire racks to cool. Store in tightly covered container.